Sunday, May 15, 2011

"Winning Time"

I just re-watched the ESPN 30 for 30 piece "Winning Time" about Reggie Miller vs the New York Knicks. If you get the chance to see it, do so, cuz it's an absolute hoot. It gives you great insight into Reggie Miller, a player who was, to say it kindly, one of the great mindfuckers of all time. He made you hate him to the point of forgetting your own game, and boy did the Knicks and their fans hate him.

Watching it made me think of the latest kerfuffle involving Mr. Landon Donovan. I saw him say something to Henry after he scored, and apparently thanks to Luke Rodgers we know what he said. Here's the thing. He seems to be pulling these stunts only in MLS games, and he seems to be getting more animated the older he gets. It's kind of a Bizzaro World Wayne Rooney.

I think it's an act. I think it's an attempt to mindfuck his opponents. He didn't pull this shit at Everton, and I don't see it at the same level when he's playing for the U.S. (I might be blinded by Red, White, and Blue glasses since Mexican fans love to hate him). I think he's clearly aware of what he's doing, and the fact that he can get away with it. He wants you to hate him. He's good at it, too.

The best way to counter it? Laugh that shit off.

No comments: