Thursday, July 7, 2011

Muffmeg?

Did I hear Julie Foudy correct herself in the 54th minute of US/Sweden? My guess was that she was about to transpose the "n" and the "m" in nutmeg, but if muffmeg is the women's term for nutmeg, then I gotta say it's brilliant.

Well, I can't say the loss was a big surprise, but it's disappointing, nonetheless. Sweden completely sped past the US backline, and I see Brazil doing the same. I don't know if we've got a defender with the speed to man mark Marta like Equatorial Guinea did for one half. If the US can control the midfield and find their finishing, and to do that they need to learn to be as ruthless as Hope Solo, then they might survive a goalfeast, but outside of that, I see their tournament ending on Sunday.

Let's see if they've learned their lessons with this loss.

No comments: