Friday, May 8, 2015

This is not crossdressing

I am the owner of over a dozen soccer jerseys. The one I've always wanted most since 1999 was the one I'm wearing now. Two stars over the US Soccer crest.
The U.S. Women's National Team jersey.

Available in men's sizes for the first time.

I'm interested in the politics of this move. Plain and simple sexism kept this from happening before.

"Men wearing a woman's shirt/blouse? Har, har!"

To be honest the design is a little dull, but it's simple enough for anyone/everyone to wear. I look forward to hearing the reaction from people when I wear this in public (the first time being this Sunday when I go to Avaya Stadium for the first time to watch the USWNT take on Ireland, a friendly crowd for a friendly). I expect the usual sexist bullshit from soccer fans whenever I bring up the women "it's slow, it's not technical".

Don't care, I'll wear my stars with pride. I watched them earn that second star in person.

As an aside, this isn't my first jersey from a woman's team. I bought an orange Cyberrays kit back in the day with Chastain on the back. It was a woman's XL size and cut and didn't fit the way I like. I finally got rid of it after the letters and numbers peeled off. I keep hoping to see someone in it after I gave it up for donation.

No comments: